Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Classics

As some of you may know by now, I do plan to be an author of some sort of book. But not just any ole book, but a classic! Soooo I have decided against my own will to read those books considered 'classics'. I have always done my own thing with writing, and did not want to study the works of others. I dont want my original ideas to be shaped by the style of others. I want to give light to my own style. I am in my own way as of now, and it is time to study those who have come before me.

And the point of all this is my reading of James Baldwin's "Go Tell It On The Mountain". I read the book in two days.[and its not long anyhow]. But the book for me was phenomal. I am not sure what I thought the book was about, but it totally caught me off guard to say the least. The book is comprised of maybe three scenes at the most, but out of those three scenes Baldwin was able to tell the story of the people involved. Hopefully that makes sense to those who have not read the book. The book is important to the black community, and especially the black church.
Sometimes I dont like the stamp "classic"...because it causes you not to critique the book on your own merits. Everyone accepts the stamp of approval, and many dont even read them to understand their importance.

So pick up a classic........Here is a link to full text books on the web, for those who dont frequent the book store >>REad<<

No comments: